Reaction to Trump’s Failed Legal Challenge
Commenting on the news that Donald Trump’s legal challenge against the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) has failed, Friends of the Earth Scotland Head of Campaigns, Mary Church, said
“The decision against Trump’s legal challenge is a victory for the environment and for communities. Not only can this important wind farm go ahead and help pave the way to a low carbon future for Scotland, but hopefully it will give some hope to the communities whose rights Trump has trampled on that the Government and Courts can stand up to the billionaire bully.”
The European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) in Aberdeen Bay will enable offshore wind developers to test new technology and equipment before developing on a commercial scale.
Trump’s opposition to the wind centre is linked to the potential for it to spoil the view from his controversial golf course development at Menie.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Lisa Trainer, Friends of the Earth Scotland
t: 0131 243 2715
NOTES to Editors:
1. The ruling in Trump International Golf Course v The Scottish Ministers & Aberdeen Offshore Windfarm  CSOH 22 is available at http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/opinions/2014CSOH22.html BBC news article on Trump losing off-shore wind challenge: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26135345
2. Scottish Ministers gave approval for the European Offshore Wind Centre in March 2013 http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2013/03/EOWCA160313 despite Donald Trump’s increasingly bizarre threats http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/mar/26/scottish-government-approves-windfarm-donald-trump
3. A recent survey for Scottish Renewables showed strong support for renewables energy in Scotland foe-scotland.org.uk/news180313
4. Our report showing how Scotland can meet its energy needs from efficiency and renewables: Power of Scotland Secured www.foe-scotland.org.uk/power-secured
5. Friends of the Earth Scotland is * Scotland’s leading environmental campaigning organisation * An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland * Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 77 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups – covering every continent. www.foe-scotland.org.uk