Scotland smashes through renewable power target
Reacting to the release of official figures which show that renewable energy met 57.7% of Scotland’s electricity demand in 2015, Dr Richard Dixon, Director of Friends of the Earth Scotland, said:
“This is great news and an important step in creating a fossil-free Scotland. Despite the UK Government’s ideological assault on renewable energy Scotland is storming ahead, smashing through our 50% target for 2015. Well done to all those in this vital industry who have helped produced a big increase from the 2014 figures.
“Clean, green energy is essential in the fight against climate change and Scotland needs to continue to be a champion of renewables while David Cameron continues to chase the nuclear dream in England.”
Notes to Editors
1. The Scottish Government statistical announcement is here: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00498583.pdf
2. Friends of the Earth Scotland is:
* Scotland's leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 75 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups.