Welcome for Labour on fracking ban move
Friends of the Earth Scotland today welcomed the news that Scottish Labour’s bill to ban fracking will proceed, Friends of the Earth Scotland’s Director Dr Richard Dixon said:
“Congratulations to Claudia Beamish and Scottish Labour for gaining multi-party support for the next step in the fight for a full legal ban on fracking and other unconventional fossil fuels. If the Scottish Government decide to propose a ban on fracking it needs to be a permanent ban in law, not just a ban in policy, and Scottish Labour are keeping up the pressure to make sure Scotland does the right thing and outlaws these new fossil fuels forever.
“Fracking would damage people’s health, local economies and the global climate. With tens of thousands of people telling the Scottish Government they don’t want fracking, Scotland needs to use a full legal route to rule it out for good.”
Notes to Editors
1. Around 60,000 people and organisations have responded to the Scottish Government’s own consultation on unconventional fossil fuels. A proposal from the Government is expected in the autumn and will be subject to a vote in the Scottish Parliament. If it proposes a ban it may either be a ban in policy or a legal ban.
2. The Republic of Ireland passed a legal ban on fracking last month https://www.foe.ie/news/2017/05/31/dail-fracking-ban-a-great-victory-for-local-campaigners-boost-for-global-climate-movement/
3. Friends of the Earth Scotland is
* Scotland’s leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 75 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups.