Political rhetoric on climate change is improving, but political action is lagging behind
The Scottish Government declared a Climate Emergency but failed to seriously increase action in the next decade.Read More
27th February 2019
Environmental campaigners have reacted to the announcement by petrochemical firm Ineos that they will upgrade the Forties pipeline system which brings in North Sea oil and gas. Ineos claim the pipeline will enable fossil fuels to be brought ashore well into the 2040.
The recent UN IPCC climate report stated out that we need to rapidly transform our energy, transport and food systems by 2030 to avoid catastrophic temperature rises. The record high temperatures set across the UK in recent days are made much likelier because of climate change, and clearly illustrate the urgent need to cut our fossil fuel use.
Friends of the Earth Scotland Director Dr Richard Dixon commented,
“The last thing the climate needs is yet more fossil fuels. Instead of prolonging our dependence on oil and fuelling our ocean of plastic waste, INEOS should be helping transform Grangemouth into a centre of zero-carbon industry. With concern about climate change at an all time high, new emissions targets being agreed, petrol and diesel cars being phased out and a crack down on using plastic, INEOS are investing in the technology of the past instead of the future.”
“If we are serious about tackling climate change, we can’t keep building infrastructure for a fossil-fuelled economy and society. The public who care about tackling action on plastic pollution should be concerned that one of Europe’s biggest plastic manufacturers are eyeing up expansion plans like these.
“The Scottish Government has set up a Just Transition Commission to look at how we go from dirty jobs in a high carbon economy to a clean economy and Scotland’s biggest companies need to start paying attention to the shift that is coming.”
Notes to Editors
1. Ineos will invest in Forties pipeline, Grangemouth and their plant in Hull https://www.ineos.com/news/shared-news/ineos-to-invest-1-billion-in-uk/
2. IPCC report (October 2018) https://foe.scot/press-release/ipcc-climate-report-reaction/
3. UK beats winter temperature record again (26 Feb 2019) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47374936
4. Last month Ineos appealed to the UK Government to permit their fracking operations in England to create bigger earthquakes
5. Friends of the Earth Scotland is
* Scotland’s leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 75 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups.